After about 10 years I grew tired of looking at the same old blue wallpaper in our bathroom. There is so much moisture that the seams had started to come unglued.
I needed a change so I decided to strip the walls. Little did I know that this was what I would find underneath…
I thought about just re-papering but didn’t want to bother with the hassle knowing, that too, would need to be stripped again some day, so I decided to skim coat the walls. Luckily, they are small and the bottom half is wainscoting so it wasn’t too terrible of a job.
While searching the internet for ideas for the wall I found this lovely stencil from Royal Design Studio. I had planned on going with a dark wall color and lighter stencil color but everyone voted me down on that idea because they thought the bathroom was already too dark and small. So, I went with Swiss Coffee on the walls and a light gray for the stencil.
I got to work this afternoon stenciling the bathroom walls.
It wasn’t too taxing, but since the stencil was so large it was tough to fit it into the corners without making a mess so I only stenciled two walls, leaving two small sections plain white on either side of the window. I am very pleased with how it turned out.
Wow, so sorry for the long absence. I can’t believe it’s been over a year since I posted. Shame on me.
Spring is in the air in WNY so I decided it was time to get out and start some projects. First in line – the deck. Our deck is about 16 years old and was looking pretty shabby so I felt it needed a little face lift. While researching what products were best for deck face lifts I came across this post and,of course, knew right away I had to try this project.
First, I had to stain our poor, sad looking deck.
I used Thompson’s Water Seal Transparent Deck Stain in Acorn Brown. What a HUGE difference the stain made. I was thrilled with the results and almost didn’t want to do another thing to the deck but my crafty-need-for-projects side decided to go ahead with the mandala pattern. So, as the sun was setting last evening I grabbed a glass of wine and started chalking in the design.
Next step, chalk paint.
I let it cure over night then lightly sanded the design and coated it with another layer of the Thompson’s.
I love how the the coat of Thompson’s gives it that aged patina vs. the stark white that it started out as.
Now on to the next project…hopefully, something to do with the camper!
Not much going on around here. Just finished up the Christmas decorating…
…and found a great little vintage stool that I painted yellow. I just needed something next to the chair to hold a beverage or magazine and didn’t want a large side/end table…so, a $9 stool and some yellow spray paint and ta-da!
I had planned on spending the day cleaning but I’ve been dying to get crafty so I put the vacuum cleaner away and got out the cardboard houses I had purchased from Hobby Lobby a few weeks ago.
I’ve been eyeing Christmas glitter houses for quite some time. I had originally planned on constructing mine from scratch but because I was afraid I’d never get them made before Christmas I decided to purchase the pre-made type. I’ve been collecting glitter, small trees and embellishments for these houses so I was all ready to get started.
I got out my paint and started to prime…
The small trees and wreaths were dark green so I put them in a bath of bleach and in no time they were white!
I then painted the houses in pastel colors and added some glitter…
I added snow flakes to the bases (my kitchen is now completely covered in the stuff!).
I added some embellishments to the roofs, glued parchment paper to the insides of the windows, added fences (which I made out of foam core and hot glue) and placed the wreaths, trees and deer…then added some lights and voila!
I love the way these little beauties look with warm glowing windows!